This job can be anywhere in the U.S., but preferably near our Washington, D.C. office:
Position: Associate-Director – Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
Location: Anywhere in the U.S. (but being based in Washington, D.C. would be a plus)
Celebrating ten years of innovative and collaborative work, Athena Infonomics has established itself as a data-driven global consultancy that leverages social science research, data science, and technology to provide user-centric, context-specific solutions and advice to decision makers. Our multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team of 70+ professionals spread across Asia, Africa, DC and London exemplify extensive experience in designing and applying research methods to co-design and co-produce useful research that is inclusive and relevant.
Our team of data scientists apply agile programming and ICT tools in order to deliver responsive and practical data and digital solutions—making for an innovative, technology-oriented business model that sets us apart in the international development space.
The international business community is taking notice of this unique approach: in 2021 alone, Athena Infonomics was recognized on The Financial Times, Nikkei Asia, and Statista’s High-Growth Companies Asia-Pacific 2021 ranking, and was selected as one of The Economic Times and Statista’s 2021 India Growth Champions.
This is a leadership position that will require close collaboration with the board of directors and other practice teams at Athena Infonomics to cultivate, manage, and grow the organization’s MEL portfolio. The Associate-Director will report to the Founder/Director and will be responsible to develop and implement the strategy for new business development and oversee and manage the delivery of programs in collaboration with a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team in Asia and Africa.
Athena’s Work Culture
At Athena, we function in an outcomes-based work environment with flexible hours and a high level of autonomy. Professional development and thought leadership are key elements of our business model: we support our team members’ professional growth through on-the-job training, and we encourage the cultivation of our colleagues’ personal brands through participation in panels, events, publications, and other thought-leadership opportunities. We embrace a transparent, open work environment with meaningful leadership pathways for those with inventive ideas and initiatives.
- Successfully build and manage a global MEL portfolio
- Hire and build teams as appropriate in the US and in countries to effectively grow and deliver programs
- Represent Athena on key knowledge platforms and events
- Coach and mentor junior and mid-level MEL staff in DC and across regional offices and hubs
- Develop and implement a strategy for new business development and provide strategic leadership to the MEL practice on technical proposals;
- Oversee the delivery of ongoing MEL programs by managing a team of consultants and analysts from Asia and Africa;
- Create fit-for-purpose evaluation designs, including quasi-experimental qualitative and mixed method evaluations;
- Explore and manage partnerships and engagements with clients and partners in the field of MEL;
- Ensure effective management of budgets and on-time delivery of project deliverables;
- Proactively contribute to organization development and capacity building activities such as thought leadership and training;
- Contribute to the development of innovative MEL products and services, and support the scale-up of available MEL products/services;
- Work collaboratively with team members, sub-contractors, and clients across multiple countries and time zones;
- Facilitate knowledge-sharing and learning, communicating regularly on results and activities in assigned projects and building evidence on common themes across projects.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Master’s degree in public health, economics, international development, political science, sociology, or a related field;
- Knowledge and experience in statistical techniques for impact evaluations;
- Familiarity with evaluation theories, tools, and techniques;
- Hands-on skill and knowledge on the use of qualitative data for evaluations;
- Minimum of 8 years of work experience within the development-evaluation sector, including consulting firms, development finance institutions, foundations, or bilateral and multilateral aid organizations (particularly in MEL or related work);
- Entrepreneurial attitude to handling challenging tasks;
- Excellent project-management skills to ensure quality and timely delivery;
- Demonstrated experience in client management;
- Demonstrated skills in the design of evaluation study protocols (experimental, quasi-experimental, and mixed-method approaches);
- Experience in adaptive learning, implementation science, or the co-production of knowledge is a bonus;
- Knowledge or experience of how ICT can be applied to MEL (or development more widely) is a plus;
- Excellent writing and presentation skills. Must be able to express ideas effectively in a clear and concise manner. Prior experience of writing reports, creating client presentations and publishing research papers;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Logical thinking and strong analytical abilities;
- Ability to work with multicultural teams;
- Attention to detail and good time management;
- Experience in an international setting.
- This position requires successful completion of a reference check and employment verification.
- The successful candidate must not be subject to employment restrictions from a former employer (such as a non-compete) that would prevent the candidate from performing the job responsibilities as described.
- Only candidates who have US work authorization will be considered.
Interested applicants can send their CVs, and a cover letter to email@example.com. Please state in your cover letter your expected salary and availability to start. Please mention “Application for Associate-Director, MEL” in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.