This job is in our Washington, D.C. office:
Position: Senior Business Development Manager
Location: Washington, D.C.
Athena Infonomics LLC is a fast-growing research and consulting small business in the US with 70 professional staff distributed across its offices and hubs in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa. Our work involves designing and implementing social science research methods and digital tools to inform new policy and programming across a range of sectors such as urban sanitation, water, and health.
This is a mid-level management position that performs a wide variety of business development work on capture and proposal teams. Higher-level responsibilities would include development of capture planning and proposal development strategies for USAID, primarily; leading cross-functional proposal teams; and delivering competitive, high-quality proposal documents for submission. This includes guiding the development of a bid strategy; conducting competitive analysis; guiding the development and implementation of capture plans, teaming and staffing strategies; and facilitating the development of responsive technical solutions. The mid-level position would assume major responsibility for the management of the USAID portfolio in the areas of the development and delivery of competitive technical and cost proposals, developing partnerships and client relationships, tracking procurement opportunities, and providing guidance on or conducting pre-bid intelligence gathering efforts.
- Successful leadership of USAID capture and proposal development projects, ensuring adherence to Athena Infonomics’ business development practices and standards;
- Coach and mentor junior staff in business development;
- Demonstrate deep knowledge, skills and abilities in capture, and proposal development and skill in applying lessons learned from prior capture, and proposal teams to subsequent assignments;
- Provide dynamic representation of business development across the company; develop desired synergies and alliances when working on assigned capture, and proposal opportunities for technical program divisions;
- Continue proactive involvement within the international development industry and business development profession to stay abreast latest developments, innovations, and best practices.
- Work with senior Athena Infonomics BD and Project Implementation staff to implement long-term positioning strategy plans;
- Network with clients and others in the industry to build lasting high-value relationships, including attending industry events as necessary and appropriate;
- Work with Athena Infonomics BD and Project Implementation staff to design and develop robust technical, management, partnering, recruitment, and cost strategies in a timely manner prior to solicitation release;
- Facilitate and guide capture and proposal teams in the development of responsive, competitive technical solutions;
- Formalize agreements with partner and resource organizations; serves as the point of contact for subcontractors and partner organizations;
- Participate in bid staffing interviews, as appropriate;
- Work with Technical Leads to form proposal development team(s); develops technical volume outlines, compliance matrices, and layout and style protocol;
- Lead the development of the proposal development packet for kick-off, including the proposal development calendar; organize the kick-off meeting and all other preparatory meetings;
- Enforce adherence to proposal development and submission deadlines;
- Take a lead role in managing proposal development team(s) from solicitation release through submission and after-action reviews;
- Review technical and cost volumes, including annexes; conduct re-writes and substantial technical editing, as required;
- Hold regular checkpoint meetings with proposal team to ensure adherence to schedule, check quality and compliance of response, surfaces and seeks resolution to potential problems early;
- Manage all color reviews; assembles relevant documents for the reviews;
- Ensure overall proposal responsiveness to, and compliance with, the solicitation;
- Oversee review process and works closely with technical writers to ensure the proposal is responsive to the evaluation criteria of the solicitation;
- Oversee proposal preparation for production; assures timely proposal submissions to the client;
- Supervise other business development specialists;
- Track deadlines and timelines for any potential problems in meeting deadlines or submitting a compliant and high-quality proposal;
- Manage post-proposal debriefing meetings to discuss the process and identify lessons learned; and,
- Support bid efforts in another role, as needed, e.g., proposal coordinator, proposal writer, or capture manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, International Development or a related field and at least 10 years of relevant experience OR a Master’s degree in a related field and at least 7 years of relevant experience;
- Demonstrated progressive experience leading capture and proposal development for USAID solicitations; experience with other U.S. Government (USG) agencies and/or non-USG donors is a plus;
- Comprehensive knowledge of business development experience on proposals;
- Excellent skills in writing, editing, formatting, research, and communications;
- Excellent meeting facilitation skills and organizational skills;
- Commitment to international development and to values-driven work environment.; and,
- Proficiency in a second language is a plus–preferably Spanish, French, or Arabic
Please send your CV, one-page cover letter, and the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application for Senior Business Development Manager”.
Please also share the following details in the email:
If current location is not Washington, D.C., then are you willing to relocate to D.C.? (Yes/No):
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.