This job will be based near our Washington, D.C. office:
Position: Chief of Party – IDEAL WSSH (USAID)
Location: Washington, D.C. metro area
Position Type: Multi-year, full-time position
Start Date: ASAP
Athena Infonomics is a global research and advisory firm combining social science research methods and ICT tools to drive innovation in policies, processes, and practices. With offices in India, Kenya, the UK, and the US, and program hubs in Bangladesh, Zambia, Uganda, and Senegal, our team of 70+ staff work across Asia and Africa.
We are a team of data scientists, IT engineers, planner, engineers and economists passionate about strengthening data use systems and cultures to deliver inclusive, safe, climate resilient and sustainable WASH services for all.
We work along the entire data value chain from extraction and mining to effective and sustained data generation, visualization and use through systems-building and digital transformation in the WASH sector.
We are looking to hire a strong Chief of Party candidate for the USAID-funded initiative Informing Decisions through Evidence and Analytics-Led WSSH (IDEAL WSSH). IDEAL WSSH seeks to strengthen USAID’s decision making through better utilization of the best global water security, sanitation, and hygiene (WSSH) data available. This will enable USAID leadership, Bureaus, and Missions, and implementers to make evidence-based decisions that accelerate progress toward the U.S. government Global Water Strategy and USAID’s Water and Development Plan.
The Chief of Party will be the primary strategic liaison with USAID and will provide:
- Overall management of the IDEAL WSSH project, including donor liaising, managing budgets, ensuring deadlines and deliverables are met.
- Strategic oversight on the most cost-effective way in which USAID can learn from publicly available data systems.
- Effective leadership of a multidisciplinary, multi-cultural team of planners, engineers, IT engineers, GIS data scientists and data visualization experts to build convergence on the key goals and sustained data use vision.
- Proactive identification of the costs and risks of implementing complex data mining and modelling strategies and put in place smart risk mitigation strategies.
- Guidance on long-term sustainability and effective use of data systems for routine decision making.
- A Master’s degree or higher in data science, data analytics, economics, engineering, public health, environmental science or other related fields.
- At least 15 years of demonstrated technical expertise with substantial developing country context experience, in one or more of the following areas:
- Developing and/or strengthening governance strategies for effective data use
- Designing and implementing digital transformation strategies for local government, utilities, or ministries in WASH
- Designing and implementing GIS-based data models and tools for effective delivery of WASH service goals
- Supporting decision makers effectively engage with and use evidence in routine decision making
- At least five years of demonstrated experience in a leadership position, preferably with USAID, in international WASH, WRM, or other relevant development program context.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a multi-million-dollar activity.
- Demonstrated ability to engage with multidisciplinary and cross-cultural teams.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- This position requires successful completion of a reference check and employment verification.
- The successful candidate must not be subject to employment restrictions from a former employer (such as a non-compete) that would prevent the candidate from performing the job responsibilities as described.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (with the subject line “Application for Chief of Party – IDEAL WSSH (USAID)”) demonstrating individual qualifications for this opportunity as well as a current CV in reverse chronological format.
Please ensure that all necessary documents are sent, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.