This job is in our Bengaluru office:
Position: Data Scientist (2-6 years)
- Who we are: Athena Infonomics is an international development consultancy, with offices throughout South Asia as well as in Washington, DC. Founded in 2010, we have been expanding rapidly and are listed as an FT 1000 High-Growth Company in Asia Pacific. Our current work spans across Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
- What we do: data-driven innovation in program strategy and design, project implementation, and impact assessment across the full spectrum of economic growth and development challenges.
- Our clients: bi-lateral and multi-lateral development financing institutions, global private philanthropies, various levels of governments across continents, leading NGOs and Fortune 500 companies.
- The Athena team: a dynamic, diverse, and close-knit group of young professionals alongside a distinguished group of policymakers, academics, and intellectuals with deep sectoral knowledge and rich experience.
Core Job Responsibilities
We are looking for an experienced data scientist with programming knowledge in Python or similar scripting languages to build Natural Language Processing (NLP) systems, with a specific focus on pattern extraction from text mining. You will be expected to have excellent data visualization and written communication skills to translate complex models and analysis results into layman terms. Our process gives you full ownership over the projects. The role is demanding, requiring you to collaborate with management team in defining your own problem and drafting a project plan for solving it – from conceptualization, research, development to production. This role helps you to challenge your analytical know-how beyond classification, clustering, ranking and regression. Core responsibilities include:
- Identifying necessary, relevant, and novel data sources and acquiring data, which often means building the necessary SQL/ETL queries and import processes.
- Inspecting distributions, identifying relationships, constructing appropriate transformations, and tracking down the source and meaning of anomalies when and where they arise. Exploring data will form a significant part of this role and should come naturally to the candidate, this will help with understanding the phenomenon being modeled, its validity and reliability. Towards this, candidate is expected to show a willingness to learn about the broader sectoral context in which the analysis is being carried out. While sector expertise is not expected, the candidate will have to work closely with sector experts within the team to contextualize both the process and outputs of analysis.
- Building models that enhance accuracy and understanding including statistical modeling, mathematical modeling, network modeling, social network modeling, natural language processing, machine learning, algorithms, genetic algorithms, and neural networks.
- Validating models against alternative approaches, review models to reduce business risks and maximizing user experience. The model should be sustainable, usable and accurate to match user needs.
- Reporting on model inputs, observed outputs, business impact and key performance indicators time to time.
- Discussing research with peers and stakeholders in small and large group settings. You are expected to mentor junior data scientists, researchers and influence key decision makers in client meetings with research outputs.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in computer science, statistics, engineering, mathematics or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years’ advanced data analysis experience and expertise in diverse statistical, data mining techniques and technologies.
- Candidate must possess expertise in Natural Language Processing (NLP), supervised and unsupervised machine learning is preferred. Knowledge in more than one machine Learning frameworks like scikit-learn, Tensorflow, Keras, pandas, etc. is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing scrapers to pull data from identified sources.
Strong programming skills in Python or Java.
- Demonstrated experience working with Tableau, Power BI or similar data visualization tool.
The ideal candidate will:
- Thrive on solving complex problems and create high quality, highly scalable software solutions.
- Have a deep passion for learning and using the latest tools and technologies.
- Effectively manage time and work independently on projects.
- Be flexible, agile and be able to work in a high-pressure environment.
- Be able to rapidly resolve issues and recognize when escalation is necessary.
This position is open for Indian nationals only. Interested applicants can send their CV along with the following information to email@example.com
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.