Position: Data Visualization Designer (2-3 years’ experience)
Location: Chennai, India (hybrid)
Position Type: Full-Time
Start Date: ASAP
Celebrating twelve years of innovative and collaborative work, Athena Infonomics has established itself as a data-driven global consultancy that leverages social science research, data science, and technology to provide user-centric, context-specific solutions and advice to decision makers. Our multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team of 70+ professionals spread across Asia, Africa, DC and London exemplify extensive experience in designing and applying research methods to co-design and co-produce useful research that is inclusive and relevant.
Our team of data scientists apply agile programming and ICT tools in order to deliver responsive and practical data and digital solutions—making for an innovative, technology-oriented business model that sets us apart in the international development space.
The international business community is taking notice of this unique approach: in 2021 alone, Athena Infonomics was recognized on The Financial Times, Nikkei Asia, and Statista’s High-Growth Companies Asia-Pacific 2021 ranking, and was selected as one of The Economic Times and Statista’s 2021 and 2022 India Growth Champions.
We are looking for an experienced Data Visualization Designer to solve data-visualization challenges by quickly creating concepts, prototyping, and iterating on ideas, as well as to help us champion design and data visualization and its value within the company. As Data Visualization Designer you will:
- Analyze data to develop stories through data visualization and infographics.
- Solve internal (and external) data visualization challenges in a variety of formats including infographics, charts, diagrams, and maps.
- Participate in project meetings to create appropriate data visualization/information needs to meet project requirements.
- Create static and interactive data visualizations (along with user interfaces) for our external and internal products as a Data Visualization Designer.
- Use a user-centered approach, solve data visualization and interface design challenges.
- Quickly develop concepts, prototyping, and iterating on ideas while using data as the foundation for your designs.
- Support/ coordinate production of printed materials and purchase of other data visualization (information-related) materials with vendors (if required).
- Work closely with front-end engineers, data scientists, operations and planning managers, and others.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 2 years of professional design experience working in the field of data visualization/information design.
- Knowledge of data visualization software such as Tableau or Power BI
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Sketch or others.
- Strong information design skills, with meticulous attention to detail.
- A good understanding of User-Centered Design.
- Experience designing data visualizations and user interfaces.
- Able to run ideation sessions with project stakeholders and users, translating complex ideas into visualizations even at a rough early stage.
- Confident communicator, able to express your ideas and convey complicated concepts simply.
- You can justify and defend your design decisions to both designers and non-designers.
- A degree in graphic design/visual communication or a relevant background.
- The ability to handle data using tools such as Excel.
- This position requires successful completion of a reference check and employment verification.
- The successful candidate must not be subject to employment restrictions from a former employer (such as a non-compete) that would prevent the candidate from performing the job responsibilities as described.
- Only candidates who have India work authorization will be considered.
- Attractive compensation with additional benefits.
- Excellent working conditions (remote and hybrid) and a friendly working atmosphere.
- The opportunity to develop your skills in statistical modeling and machine learning in the social development sector
- A dynamic, project-driven work environment where you will gain knowledge and experience in the practical use of technology for social good on projects for companies from various sectors.
Interested applicants can send their CVs, a cover letter, and the following information to email@example.com. Please mention “Application for Data Visualization Designer” in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.