This job is in our Chennai/Delhi office:
Position: Lead Consultant – Survey Management (5-7 years)
- Who we are: Athena Infonomics is a data-driven global consultancy. We combine social science research methods and ICT tools to drive innovation in policies, processes and programs in international development. Athena Infonomics has offices in India and Washington, D.C., alongside program hubs across Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
- What we do: data-driven innovation in program strategy and design, project implementation, and impact assessment across the full spectrum of economic growth and development challenges. We also work with the private sector to develop a richer understanding of the rural and urban-poor markets
- Our clients: bi-lateral and multi-lateral development financing institutions, global private philanthropies, various levels of governments across continents, leading NGOs and Fortune 500 companies.
- The Athena team: a dynamic, diverse, and close-knit group of young professionals alongside a distinguished group of policymakers, academics, and intellectuals with deep sectoral knowledge and rich experience.
About the Survey Business Team
The survey business unit at Athena is a strategic line of business which will leverage the extensive survey design and management capabilities of the firm, offering these to clients as a standalone service or in conjunction with other services of the firm. Our innovative survey business team will work on introducing cutting edge practices in survey design, management and quality control. The team will leverage Athena’s digital assets and global network of experts to deliver high quality end to end survey management solutions.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Establish a full-fledged survey research division at Athena to cater to meet its growing primary data collection requirements.
- Lead, design and manage projects involving primary data collection including evaluation and finalisation of survey research design, data collection methods and techniques, drafting of research instruments, designing internal data quality control checks, preparation and implementation of field plan, formulation of analysis plan, overall survey progress monitoring etc.
- Recruit and manage a team of dynamic self-starters to support end-to-end primary data collection programmes/projects across different geographies.
- Identify and actively pursue opportunities to build Athena’s survey research business.
- Suggest innovative data collection methods and techniques and identify avenues for piloting in existing or new initiatives; Innovative methods to include geo-spatial, crowdsourcing, computer vision, image processing etc.
- Lead training and knowledge transfer to survey teams on data collection techniques, procedures, methods etc. on a regular basis.
- Establish data quality standards and work with survey teams to ensure standards are adhered to and met.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Master’s degree with 7+ years of demonstrated experience or PhD with 5 years of demonstrated experience in large scale research surveys across the value chain – research design – training – implementation – monitoring – analysis.
- Candidate must possess an advanced degree in a relevant field example: economics/applied economics, behavioural economics, statistics, bio-statistics, computational science, operation research, mathematics, population studies, planning or demography from reputed institutions having global recognition.
- Demonstrated experience in leading multiple methodology surveys, innovative methodology development, standards and best practices in multiple sectors including urban development, WASH, health etc.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting behavioural research projects/ programmes in the context of social change in WASH, health, gender, safety etc.
- Demonstrated expertise in quantitative and qualitative social science research methods, including small-n case selection and study design, survey design and sampling, process tracing, cross-sectional and panel data analysis, the experimental and quasi-experimental tools of causal inference, and statistical power analysis.
- Demonstrated capacity and professional experience in undertaking evaluation studies including RCTs and their implementation in the context of developing countries in South/South-East Asia.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Design large scale surveys, formulate sampling strategy, sampling frame, quality control protocols and research instruments.
- Experience of conducting qualitative studies such as FGDs, In-depth Interviews etc.
- Knowledge of existing international and national level policies, laws and guidelines for data privacy, ethics and protection (E.g., SC Guidelines, B.N. Chaturvedi Committee Recommendations, Open data protocols, etc.).
- Knowledge of various evaluation methods such as RCTs, propensity score matching, difference-in-difference, regression discontinuity etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to prepare and review reports, briefs, training manuals for survey teams.
- Advanced econometric/statistical modelling and analytical skills will be an added advantage.
Interested applicants can send their CVs and a statement of purpose along with the following information to email@example.com
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.