This job is in our Delhi/Chennai office:
Position: Lead Consultant – Urban Governance (8 Years)
Deadline: 9th February 2020
Who we are: Athena Infonomics is a data-driven global consultancy. We combine social science research methods and ICT tools to drive innovation in policies, processes and programs in international development. Athena Infonomics has offices in India and Washington, D.C., alongside program hubs across Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
What we do: data-driven innovation in program strategy and design, project implementation, and impact assessment across the full spectrum of economic growth and development challenges.
Our clients: bi-lateral and multi-lateral development financing institutions, global private philanthropies, various levels of governments across continents, leading NGOs and Fortune 500 companies.
The Athena team: a dynamic, diverse, and close-knit group of young professionals alongside a distinguished group of policymakers, academics, and intellectuals with deep sectoral knowledge and rich experience.
Athena is seeking an Urban Governance Lead to support its Urban Practice. The candidate will support India-centric activities but is expected to work globally on any of Athena’s urban development projects. Ideally, they will be based in our Delhi office with travel to Chennai or other project sites. This is a full-time position.
The Urban Governance Lead will work closely with the Urban Practice Lead on a variety of urban assignments, many of which intersect with other disciplines including WASH, MLE, gender & social inclusion and technology in areas involving urban reforms, data system strengthening, public finance, housing policy and development initiatives, institutional strengthening and capacity building among others. The candidate will support Athena’s urban development consulting business by strategizing, project execution and proposal development in the urban development sector.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Identify opportunities for Athena’s urban practice to better advance the firm’s core values internally and externally.
- Technical and managerial leadership on project execution: ensure effective project delivery, developing strategic partnerships, building a highly motivated team of development practitioners in the field of urban governance and programme management and/or implementation.
- Develop overall project work plans, translate client requirements into specific methodological approaches and tasks, oversee project progress, and continuously draw insights from project learnings to guide project strategic directions.
- Work closely with a team of 6-7 consultants and analysts across multiple locations on individual teamwork plans, tasks, and deliverables, and troubleshoot issues.
- Establish practice processes to ensure greater efficiency and effectiveness in practice outcomes (pertaining to project delivery, business development, and team’s career development).
- Translate client requirements into specific methodological approaches and tasks for the team members.
- Support in formulation of business strategy for the urban practice and its implementation.
- Lead preparation of high-quality business proposals for government and international agencies.
- Enhance Athena’s brand image in this sector, regionally and globally.
- Travel to project locations/sites as and when required.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 7-8 years of professional experience in India’s urban development and should have worked at the national, state and local level on missions and programmes directly or indirectly.
- Should have independently managed and/or implemented a portfolio of urban or interdisciplinary assignments (Individual project value of at least INR 50 lakh) with overall responsibility of end-to-end delivery including client engagement.
- Should have experience of working on projects at the intersection of urban policy/data systems/technology in India or other developing nations.
- Should have experience of working with international agencies within or outside India.
- Possess and build networks with partners and clients of strategic importance in this space and manage existing networks.
- Candidate with experience of working on interdisciplinary projects/assignments with urban development sector as the main discipline would be preferred.
- Should possess a post graduate degree in management/planning/economics from a top tier institute in India or abroad.
- Demonstrate clear and concise communication and articulation skills in English.
Interested applicants can send their covering letter, references and CVs to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Diversity in this references (e.g. across government institutions and private sector/development agencies) will be valuable.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.