This job is based in our Delhi or Chennai office:
Position: Principal Consultant – Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (8+ Years)
Location: Delhi or Chennai, India
Celebrating twelve years of innovative and collaborative work, Athena Infonomics has established itself as a data-driven global consultancy that leverages social science research, data science, and technology to provide user-centric, context-specific solutions and advice to decision makers. Our multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team of 70+ professionals spread across Asia, Africa, DC and London exemplify extensive experience in designing and applying research methods to co-design and co-produce useful research that is inclusive and relevant.
Our team of data scientists apply agile programming and ICT tools in order to deliver responsive and practical data and digital solutions—making for an innovative, technology-oriented business model that sets us apart in the international development space.
The international business community is taking notice of this unique approach: in 2021 alone, Athena Infonomics was recognized on The Financial Times, Nikkei Asia, and Statista’s High-Growth Companies Asia-Pacific 2021 and 2022 ranking, and was selected as one of The Economic Times and Statista’s 2021 and 2022 India Growth Champions.
Athena’s Work Culture
At Athena, we function in an outcomes-based work environment with flexible hours and a high level of autonomy. Professional development and thought leadership are key elements of our business model: we support our team members’ professional growth through on-the-job training, and we encourage the cultivation of our colleagues’ personal brands through participation in panels, events, publications, and other thought-leadership opportunities. We embrace a transparent, open work environment with meaningful leadership pathways for those with inventive ideas and initiatives.
Athena’s monitoring and evaluation practice, one of the four verticals, offering cutting-edge expertise in experimental and quasi-experimental design, quantitative and qualitative research methods, M&E frameworks, and knowledge management for learning and adaptation. We specialize in complex, multi-country, program and thematic evaluations and learning-oriented projects. Our monitoring and evaluation work ranges from large-scale impact evaluations that employ experimental and quasi-experimental evaluation design, systems and portfolio evaluations to formative evaluation, developmental evaluations, summative evaluations and process evaluations. In addition, we are also involved in the designing of theories of change. the creation of complex monitoring systems. the development of measurement frameworks. and the assessment of data ecosystems.
We currently deliver M&E contracts for the USAID, UN, World Bank, other multi-lateral and bilateral, international foundations, NGOs and national and sub-national governments.
As part of our continued expansion, the Monitoring Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Team is looking for a Principal Consultant who will help build the business and lead technical delivery of our projects.
This is a strategic position that requires close collaboration with the MEL director and other team members at Athena Infonomics to manage and grow the organization’s MEL portfolio. The Principal Consultant will report to the Associate Director and will be responsible for the development of Athena’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) portfolio, provide technical guidance for the delivery of M&E projects and collaborate with other verticals within the organization to further develop the M&E portfolio. This will involve drafting proposals for a wide range of clients, provide research and consultancy services, client and project management, and mentoring a small team of Consultants and Associate Consultants.
We are seeking a candidate with technical understanding and demonstrated experience in a range of evaluation methods including quantitative and mixed-method evaluation approaches, and experience in developing logical frameworks and theories of change, and good level of knowledge in one or more of Athena’s thematic areas such as governance, livelihoods, environment and climate change, education, public health, WASH, infrastructure, SME, agriculture, food security, nutrition, gender among others.
- Design and implement robust experimental and quasi-experimental evaluations and research, using quantitative and mixed methods.
- Oversee the delivery of ongoing MEL programs.
- Contribute to building the MEL practice and lead business development including drafting proposals (including technical components) for multi and bilateral clients such as FCDO, World Bank, EU, USAID, etc.
- Manage a team of Consultants and Associate Consultants and ensure high quality outputs.
- Ensure effective management of budgets and on-time delivery of project deliverables.
- Proactively contribute to management and organization development activities including thought leadership, training etc.
- Work collaboratively with team members, sub-contractors and clients, often across multiple countries and time zones.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and learning, communicating regularly on results and activities in assigned projects and building evidence on common themes across projects.
Qualifications and Competencies
- A Master’s degree in public health, economics, international development, political science, sociology, or a related field.
- Demonstrable experience with research and evaluation design using mixed-methods MEL and research approaches.
- Proven experience with designing Theories of Change and understanding of theory-driven evaluation approaches.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in statistical techniques for impact evaluation and modeling economic behavior.
- Understanding of one or more of key evaluation methods such as Contribution Analysis, Outcome harvesting, Most Significant Change method is preferable.
- Demonstrated success in the acquisition of bid-based donor-funded monitoring and evaluation projects.
- Experience of project management, including management of project teams.
- Demonstrated excellence managing large, complex, quantitative and qualitative data gathering initiatives to produce rigorous, evidence-based conclusions and recommendations.
- Experience in adaptive learning, implementation science or the co-production of knowledge is a bonus.
- Knowledge or experience of how ICT can be applied to MEL, or development more widely is a plus.
- Familiarity with quantitative data analysis software such as SPSS / STATA / R is a must; and experience with qualitative data analysis software such as NVivo, or MAXQDA, will be a plus.
- Minimum of 8 years of work experience supporting consulting services or international development projects, especially with DFID, USAID or other multilaterals or bilateral donors, or experience of working overseas, ideally in a development environment.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills. Must be able to express ideas effectively in a clear and concise manner. Prior experience of writing reports, creating client presentations and publishing research papers.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Logical thinking and strong analytical abilities.
- Ability to work with a team and meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail and good time management.
- Experience in an international setting.
- This position requires successful completion of a reference check and employment verification.
- The successful candidate must not be subject to employment restrictions from a former employer (such as a non-compete) that would prevent the candidate from performing the job responsibilities as described.
- Only candidates who have India work authorization will be considered.
Interested applicants can send their CVs, and a cover letter to email@example.com. Please state in your cover letter your expected salary and availability to start. Please mention “Application for Principal Consultant, MEL” in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.