This job is in our Delhi/Chennai office:
Position: Senior Consultant, Development Finance – Inclusive Markets
Location: Chennai / Delhi
Deadline: 31st August 2020
- Who we are? : Athena Infonomics is a data-driven global consultancy. We combine social science research methods and ICT tools to drive innovation in policies, processes and programs in international development. Athena Infonomics has offices in India and Washington, D.C., alongside program hubs across Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
- What we do? : Data-driven innovation in program strategy and design, project implementation, and impact assessment across the full spectrum of economic growth and development challenges.
- Our clients: Bi-lateral and multi-lateral development financing institutions, global private philanthropies, various levels of governments across continents, leading NGOs, and Fortune 500 companies.
- The Athena team: A dynamic, diverse, and close-knit group of young professionals alongside a distinguished group of policymakers, academics, and intellectuals with deep sectoral knowledge and rich experience.
Athena Infonomics is looking to hire a Senior Consultant – Development Finance within its Inclusive Markets practice. The practice was constituted with a specific ethos – that it takes different approaches to solve various challenges that emerging economies in Africa and Asia face. We are strong proponents of markets being a powerful actor in improving social outcomes within an economy.
We view markets holistically and deploy data and evidence to correct market failures within the development sector – right from preparing future-ready workforce using technology, to making markets accessible to Farmer Producer Organisations using analytics or in setting up innovative financing structures to enable flow of capital to underserved enterprises. Our growing list of solutions has one underpinning theme – making markets work for everybody.
The Development Finance portfolio within Inclusive Markets works with various development funding organisations to improve the performance of development capital deployed. Clients within the portfolio include Impact Investors, Development Banks, Financial Institutions, and government agencies that enable flow of capital to small and medium businesses. We test ideas and solutions and build use-cases across sectors, and work with our extensive network of clients and partners to anchor and scale it to population-level solutions.
- Intuitively understands development pathways and theories of change within social development
- Understands financial statements equally intuitively and can read between the lines
- At-home in data-sparse environments, leaning towards a ‘data hustler’
- Structured approach to argument construction and articulation
- Views problem solving as a means to an end, and not the end
- Decisive project-manager, and a counsellor to clients
- Sparring partners for Practice Leadership
- Builders of business, and built to improve things with every iteration
- Manages work in a manner that makes time their friend
Core Job Responsibilities
- Lead dedicated project teams and own workflow streams and/ or deliverable
- Liaise closely with clients to co-create solutions and/ or convince them of the merit in project team’s solution
- Compile and analyze data to draw insights to guide strategic directions of the project and
- Develop high impact presentations and reports for clients that does justice to the project team’s effort in the build up to the deliverable
- Pitch ideas that will help existing and prospective clients understand potential ways to generate additional value within their portfolio
What You Can Gain
- Opportunity to make a dent on some of the toughest social development challenges that we face
- Opportunity to shape the outcomes of exciting projects funded by major international development actors
- Opportunity to be a part of a ‘flywheel’ practice at Athena, where rotation vis-à-vis social impact compounds with time
- Opportunity to work within constraints that is business-as-usual in social development, and yet find solutions within those constraints
Qualifications and Competencies
- MA or MSc in Economics or Master’s in Business Administration or Master’s in Social Science or MSc Finance, CA, CFA, CMA from top-tier institutions
- Background in corporate finance and project finance is important
- Work experience of 5 to 7 years in the area of enabling access to capital to financial institutions, Agribusinesses, MSMEs, Education, Social Startups, at either a –
- FinTech Lending/ Development Bank/ Impact Fund/ Financial Institution
- A development/management consulting firm
- Experience working with development-oriented Investors, or has a thorough understanding of their motivations and proclivities
- Demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills. Must be able to express ideas effectively in a clear and concise manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Competency in mathematical economics and statistics/econometrics is desirable
- Experience managing a team of 3-5 members, at least, on projects or as direct reports
Interested applicants can send their CVs, a statement of purpose along with the following information to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for Senior Consultant, Development Finance”.
Willingness to be based out of Delhi/Chennai (when things improve):
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.