This job is in our Washington DC office:
Position: Senior Consultant/Project Manager – WASH
Location: Washington DC
Expected Start Date: 1st October 2020
- Who we are: Athena Infonomics is a data-driven global consultancy. We combine social science research methods and ICT tools to drive innovation in policies, processes and programs in international development. Athena Infonomics has offices in India and Washington, D.C., alongside program hubs across Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
- What we do: data-driven innovation in program strategy and design, project implementation, and impact assessment across the full spectrum of economic growth and development challenges.
- Our clients: bilateral and multilateral development financing institutions, global private philanthropies, various levels of governments across continents, leading NGOs and Fortune 500 companies.
- The Athena team: a dynamic, diverse, and close-knit group of young professionals alongside a distinguished group of policymakers, academics, and intellectuals with deep sectoral knowledge and rich experience.
Core Job Responsibilities
Lead a multi-country project to develop, pilot, and scale up a comprehensive sanitation planning tool for utilities and regulators, including:
- Planning project strategy, resources, and implementation.
- Managing relationships with the client and project partners, including technical experts and utilities and regulators using the tool.
- Managing the piloting and rollout of the tool in cities across Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, including initial presentations to utilities, regulators and other users, coordination of data collection, provision of technical assistance on tool use, facilitation of discussions on the results and their implications, and development of strategies to scale up and institutionalize use of the tool.
- Identifying new user groups for the tool, including utilities and regulators in new countries, development finance institutions, and NGOs, and advocating for its use.
- Presenting the tool to prospective users and in international forums.
- Providing technical guidance on the tool indicators, data requirements, and modeling.
- Supervising development and updates of the web-based version of the tool, including identification of required functionalities, review of intermediate outputs, and vendor management.
- Writing and editing learning briefs and analytical pieces documenting experiences from the project.
- Reviewing and editing deliverables submitted by the project to ensure quality outputs.
- Overall management of the project team and budget.
- Recruiting, onboarding, and supervising consultants and technical experts to support project implementation.
Contribute to new business development, including identifying opportunities, leading technical responses to proposals and building strategic partnerships.
Proactively contribute to management and organizational development activities, such as thought leadership, training, etc.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Master’s degree in an area related to WASH, international development, or social sciences from a top-tier graduate school.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in WASH service delivery, preferably in urban sanitation, utility management and/or financial planning.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience managing large multi-country projects for bilateral/multilateral development institutions or large international NGOs.
- Ability to manage and supervise complex WASH projects, meet tight deadlines, and ensure timely delivery of high-quality outputs.
- Excellent writing, editing, communication, and presentation skills.
- Proven record of developing and managing long-term client relationships.
- Experience in new business development and proposal management preferred.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative research skills. Knowledge of contemporary research techniques and practices.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Comfort working with multicultural teams across countries and time zones.
- Entrepreneurial attitude to handle challenging tasks, adapt to changing circumstances, and shoulder responsibility.
Interested applicants can send their CVs, a statement of purpose, and a writing sample along with the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention “Senior Consultant/Project Manager – WASH, US” as the subject line.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.