This job is in our New Delhi/Chennai office:
Position: Senior Consultant – WASH
Location: New Delhi or Chennai
- Who we are: Athena Infonomics is a data-driven global consultancy. We combine social science research methods and ICT tools to drive innovation in policies, processes and programs in international development. Athena Infonomics has offices in India and Washington, D.C., alongside program hubs across Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
- What we do: data-driven innovation in program strategy and design, project implementation, and impact assessment across the full spectrum of economic growth and development challenges.
- Our clients: bi-lateral and multi-lateral development financing institutions, global private philanthropies, various levels of governments across continents, leading NGOs and Fortune 500 companies.
- The Athena team: a dynamic, diverse, and close-knit group of young professionals alongside a distinguished group of policymakers, academics, and intellectuals with deep sectoral knowledge and rich experience.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Project Tasks
Work closely with the Project Manager and project teams to ensure timely and effective delivery on Athena’s Water and Sanitation (WASH) projects, including but not limited to:
- Draft project deliverables based on primary and secondary research, supported by in-depth understanding of WASH related data. Deliverables may include analytical reports, policy briefs, and learning materials of publication quality.
- Review, quality check, and edit technical WASH M&E deliverables by team members to ensure quality of outputs on the project.
- Develop presentations with suitable use of graphics.
- Under guidance from the Project Manager, develop overall project work plans, translate client requirements into specific methodological approaches and monitoring plan, oversee project progress, and continuously draw insights from project learnings to guide project strategic directions;
- Coordinate with program partners and stakeholders, provide guidance, handholding support and troubleshoot on collating data and reporting on the monitoring framework;
- Coordinate with various national/international platforms and forums to provide monitoring and evaluation related inputs and engage in sectoral discussions;
- Some traveling might be needed to meet with clients, experts, and other project stakeholders, based on assessments of the national/global COVID-19 situation.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Project Manager.
- Organizational Development
- Support other project teams as and when required;
- Support with exploring new research opportunities related to WASH, including but not limited to tracking opportunities, drafting proposals, and designing qualitative and quantitative research instruments.
What You Can Gain
- Opportunity to engage intensively with and contribute to the growth of Athena’s rapidly expanding WASH portfolio.
- Opportunity to actively shape the outcomes of exciting projects funded by major international development agencies in the WASH sector.
- Knowledge of and experience working with major development agencies in WASH and sector experts.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Master’s Degree in an area related to WASH, International Development, or Social Sciences from a top-tier graduate school.
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience in international development, at least 2 of which in WASH service delivery and preferably in urban sanitation planning.
- Logical thinking and strong analytical abilities. Ability to work independently with minimal guidance.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills. Must be able to express ideas effectively in a clear and concise manner, and produce written deliverables of publication quality. A writing sample of non-technical nature (for an educated general audience) is required on topics related to WASH or international development. The writing sample should be under 5 pages, preferably in the format of a policy brief.
- Knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) is strongly preferred. Demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Must be able to communicate effectively with teams with various background.
- Proven record of developing and managing long-term client relationships.
- Comfort working with multicultural teams across countries and time zones.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to perform under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Entrepreneurial attitude to handle challenging tasks, deal with ambiguity and shoulder responsibility.
Interested applicants can send their CVs, a statement of purpose, and a writing sample along with the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention “Senior Consultant – WASH, India” as the subject line.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.