This job can be anywhere in the U.S., but preferably near our Washington, D.C. office:
Position: Senior Manager – Business Development
Location: Anywhere in the U.S. (but being based in Washington, D.C. would be a plus)
Celebrating ten years of innovative and collaborative work, Athena Infonomics has established itself as a data-driven global consultancy that leverages social science research, data science, and technology to provide user-centric, context-specific solutions and advice to decision makers. Our multidisciplinary and multi-cultural team of 70+ professionals spread across Asia, Africa, DC and London exemplify extensive experience in designing and applying research methods to co-design and co-produce useful research that is inclusive and relevant.
Our team of data scientists apply agile programming and ICT tools in order to deliver responsive and practical data and digital solutions—making for an innovative, technology-oriented business model that sets us apart in the international development space.
The international business community is taking notice of this unique approach: in 2021 alone, Athena Infonomics was recognized on The Financial Times, Nikkei Asia, and Statista’s High-Growth Companies Asia-Pacific 2021 ranking, and was selected as one of The Economic Times and Statista’s 2021 India Growth Champions.
This is a management position, with the Senior Manager taking responsibility for developing and implementing a strategy for growing Athena’s USAID portfolio. The Senior Manager will report directly to the Founder/Director in Washington, D.C. Higher-level responsibilities would include development of capture planning and proposal development strategies for USAID, primarily; leading cross-functional proposal teams; and delivering competitive, high-quality proposal documents for submission. This includes guiding the development of a bid strategy; conducting competitive analysis; guiding the development and implementation of capture plans, teaming and staffing strategies; and facilitating the development of responsive technical solutions. The Senior manager would assume major responsibility for the management of our USAID portfolio in: developing and delivering competitive technical and cost proposals; developing partnerships and client relationships; tracking procurement opportunities; and providing guidance on or conducting pre-bid intelligence-gathering efforts.
Athena’s Work Culture
At Athena, we function in an outcomes-based work environment with flexible hours and a high level of autonomy. Professional development and thought leadership are key elements of our business model: we support our team members’ professional growth through on-the-job training, and we encourage the cultivation of our colleagues’ personal brands through participation in panels, events, publications, and other thought-leadership opportunities. We embrace a transparent, open work environment with meaningful leadership pathways for those with inventive ideas and initiatives.
- Successful leadership of USAID capture and proposal development projects, ensuring adherence to Athena’s business development practices and standards;
- Coach and mentor junior staff in business development;
- Demonstrate deep knowledge, skills, and abilities in capture and proposal development, skill in applying lessons learned from prior capture;
- Provide dynamic representation of business development across the company; develop desired synergies and alliances when working on assigned capture, and proposal opportunities for technical program divisions;
- Continue proactive involvement within the international development industry and business development profession to stay abreast of the latest developments, innovations, and best practices.
- Work with senior Athena Business Development and Project Implementation staff to implement long-term positioning strategy plans;
- Network with clients and others in the industry to build lasting high-value relationships, through attendance at industry events (as necessary and appropriate);
- Work with Athena Business Development and Project Implementation staff to design and develop robust technical, management, partnering, recruitment, and cost strategies in a timely manner prior to solicitation release;
- Facilitate and guide capture and proposal teams in the development of responsive, competitive technical solutions;
- Formalize agreements with partner and resource organizations; serve as the point of contact for subcontractors and partner organizations;
- Participate in bid-staffing interviews, as appropriate;
- Work with Technical Leads to form proposal development team(s); develop technical volume outlines, compliance matrices, and layout and style protocol;
- Lead the development of the proposal-development packet for kick-off, including the proposal-development calendar; organize the kick-off meeting and all other preparatory meetings;
- Enforce adherence to proposal development and submission deadlines;
- Take a lead role in managing proposal development team(s) from solicitation release through submission and after-action reviews;
- Review technical and cost volumes, including annexes; conduct re-writes and substantial technical editing, as required;
- Hold regular checkpoint meetings with proposal development team(s) to ensure adherence to schedule, check quality and compliance of response, surface and seek resolution to potential problems early;
- Manage all color reviews, and assemble relevant documents for these reviews;
- Ensure overall proposal responsiveness to, and compliance with, solicitations;
- Oversee review process and work closely with technical writers to ensure proposals are responsive to the evaluation criteria of solicitations;
- Oversee proposal preparation for production; assure timely proposal submissions to the client;
- Supervise other business-development specialists;
- Track deadlines and timelines for any potential problems in meeting deadlines or submitting a compliant and high-quality proposal;
- Manage post-proposal debriefing meetings to discuss the process and identify lessons learned; and,
- Support bid efforts in other roles, as needed (e.g. Proposal Coordinator, Proposal Writer, or Capture Manager).
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, international development, or a related field and at least 7 years of relevant experience OR a Master’s degree in a related field and at least 5 years of relevant experience;
- Demonstrated progressive experience leading capture and proposal development for USAID solicitations; experience with other U.S. Government (USG) agencies and/or non-USG donors is a plus;
- Comprehensive knowledge of business-development experience on proposals;
- Excellent skills in writing, editing, formatting, research, and communications;
- Excellent meeting-facilitation skills and organizational skills;
- Commitment to international development and to a values-driven work environment; and,
- Proficiency in a second language is a plus—preferably Spanish or French.
- This position requires successful completion of a reference check and employment verification.
- The successful candidate must not be subject to employment restrictions from a former employer (such as a non-compete) that would prevent the candidate from performing the job responsibilities as described.
- Only candidates who have US work authorization will be considered.
Interested applicants can send their CVs, and a cover letter to email@example.com. Please state in your cover letter your expected salary and availability to start. Please mention “Application for Senior Manager – Business Development” in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.