This job can be anywhere in the U.S., but preferably near our Washington, D.C. office:
Position: Associate Manager – Business Development
Location: Anywhere in the U.S. (but being based in Washington, D.C. would be a plus)
Celebrating eleven years of impactful work that seeks to improve the lives of the underserved worldwide, Athena Infonomics has established itself as a data-driven global consultancy that leverages social science research, data science, and technology to provide practical and targeted advice to decision makers. Our multidisciplinary and multicultural team of 70+ professionals spread across Asia, Africa, DC, and London has extensive experience in designing and delivering actionable research to shape inclusive and impactful development policies and programs.
Our team of data scientists apply agile programming and ICT tools to deliver responsive and practical data and digital solutions—making for an innovative, technology-oriented business model that sets us apart in the international development space.
The international business community is taking notice of this unique approach: in 2021 alone, Athena Infonomics was recognized on The Financial Times, Nikkei Asia, and Statista’s High-Growth Companies Asia-Pacific 2021 ranking, and was selected as one of The Economic Times and Statista’s 2021 India Growth Champions.
Athena’s Work Culture
At Athena, we function in an outcomes-based work environment with flexible hours and a high level of autonomy. Professional development and thought leadership are key elements of our business model: we support our team members’ professional growth through on-the-job training, and we encourage participation in panels, events, publications, and other opportunities for visibility, networking, and learning. We embrace a transparent, open work environment with meaningful leadership pathways for those with inventive ideas and initiatives.
- Work with senior Athena Business Development and Project Implementation staff to provide support to the firm’s overall business development pursuits;
- Network with clients and others in the industry to build lasting high-value relationships, through attendance at industry events;
- Support in generating leads through strategic data accumulation and analysis from different portals and sources;
- Collaborate with Project teams to develop responsive, competitive technical solutions;
- Support in developing and shaping partnerships, in addition to formalizing agreements;
- Participate in bid-staffing interviews;
- Manage proposal development and ensure adherence to submission deadlines and compliance with funder requirements;
- Conduct market research and competitive intelligence to support the identification and pursuit of new business and industry best practices;
- Monitoring and analysis of key business development activities and metrics;
- Support other BD efforts on an as-needed basis, including coordination with the Communications/Design team for the production of promotional content and collateral.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, international development, or a related field and at least 2 years of relevant experience OR a Master’s degree in a related field and at least 1 year of relevant experience;
- Knowledge and experience in business-development processes – tracking opportunities, supporting in drafting proposals, partnership building, etc.;
- Experience in supporting proposal development for USAID or other U.S. Government (USG) agencies and/or non-USG donors is a big plus;
- Excellent skills in writing, editing, research, and communications;
- Excellent meeting-facilitation skills and organizational skills;
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks and work collaboratively with others;
- Commitment to international development and to a values-driven work environment;
- Proficiency in a second language is a plus—preferably Spanish or French.
- This position requires successful completion of a reference check and employment verification.
- The successful candidate must not be subject to employment restrictions from a former employer (such as a non-compete) that would prevent the candidate from performing the job responsibilities as described.
- Only candidates who have US work authorization will be considered.
Interested applicants can send their CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. Please state in your cover letter your expected salary and availability to start. Please mention “Application for Associate Manager – Business Development” in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further steps.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.