This job is in our Chennai office:
Position: Business Development Manager (3-5 years)
- Who we are: Athena Infonomics is a data-driven global consultancy. We combine social science research methods and ICT tools to drive innovation in policies, processes and programs in international development. Athena Infonomics has offices in India and Washington, D.C., alongside program hubs across Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia.
- What we do: data-driven innovation in program strategy and design, project implementation, and impact assessment across the full spectrum of economic growth and development challenges.
- Our clients: bi-lateral and multi-lateral development financing institutions, global private philanthropies, various levels of governments across continents, leading NGOs and Fortune 500 companies.
- The Athena team: a dynamic, diverse, and close-knit group of young professionals alongside a distinguished group of policymakers, academics, and intellectuals with deep sectoral knowledge and rich experience.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Work with business development teams stationed at Chennai and Delhi (India) and Washington, D.C. (United States) and provide managerial support to the firm’s overall business development pursuits.
- Coordinate with practice leads to track potential solicitation opportunities from various clients including World Bank, IFC, European Union, USAID, MCC, DFID, Asian/African Development Bank; build on contacts to identify new business opportunities.
- Management of the opportunity pipeline system used to track opportunities being pursued well in advance of RFP release and through to award.
- Develop and use standard templates, tools, and processes to facilitate effective capture planning and management.
- Training of staff on best practices in capture planning and management.
- Performance of market research and competitive intelligence activities to support the identification and pursuit of new business.
- Lead field assessments in support of proposal development.
- Identify recruitment needs and develop scopes of work and terms of reference.
- Identifies subcontractors and negotiate their participation and tasks.
- Reviewing technical proposals in accordance with the firm’s business development SOPs.
- Overseeing and reviewing cost/financial proposals to ensure competitiveness and cohesion with technical proposal.
- Drafting monitoring and evaluation and/or performance monitoring plans for proposals.
- Networking and industry/client interaction to keep up-to-date on trends and cycles affecting new business development in respective sectors.
- Reporting of key business development activities and metrics.
- Implementation of ongoing business development process improvements, including those relating to the bid-no-bid decision process, development of new business development performance metrics, and enhancements that align the business development process and reporting with Athena’s strategic plan.
- Supporting development of new proposal technical areas through research, and technical recruitment.
- Remaining fully abreast of political, social and economic developments in designated countries and regions and circulate materials to field and providing analysis as required.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s/bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated understanding of and interest in international development, with at least 5 years of relevant experience (preferably including experience with INGOs).
- Master’s degree and 3-5 years’ experience working in business development (preferably in the development sector or management consultancies).
- Prior experience and demonstrated success in business development targeting key clients such as USAID, World Bank, IFC, ADB, AfDB, DFID, MCC etc., is a plus.
- Strong management skills, particularly in planning, scheduling, and managing multiple tasks and people working under tight deadlines.
- Experience in writing technical proposals preferred.
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks and work collaboratively with others.
- Ability to interact effectively with senior staff, external clients and stakeholders, including a proven ability to build consensus and relationships and influence and motivate teams to achieve goals.
- Highly-detailed, strategic thinker with substantial capacity to thrive in deadline-driven, dynamic environments.
- Software proficiency: Microsoft Office applications (required).
- Willingness to travel frequently domestically and internationally.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Fluency in other languages than English is highly preferred.
Please send your CV, one-page cover letter and following information to email@example.com.
Athena Infonomics is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Athena Infonomics is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.